These absolutely delectable red velvet cupcakes are sure to be a big hit! Your friends and family won't believe that they are completely dairy-free. This was adapted from Paula Dean's Grandmother Paul's Red Velvet Cake. The frosting is a variation on a basic buttercream frosting.
|Prep Time||40 Minutes|
|Cook Time||20-25 Minutes|
- 2 eggs
- 2 c sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 2 oz red food coloring
- 1 c crisco
- 2 1/2 c flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c coconut milk
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 c crisco
- 1/2 c (1 stick) margarine
- 4 c confectioner sugar
- 1/2 tsp imitation butter flavor
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Prepare a cupcake pan with baking cups. Grease each cup lightly.
- In a small bowl or glass/pyrex measuring cup, combine the coconut milk with 1 tbsp vinegar and set aside.
- In a medium sized bow, beat the eggs and sugar together.
- In a large bowl, mix the cocoa and food coloring then add the crisco and egg mixture. Mix well.
- Combine the flour and salt and add to the creamed mixture alternately with the coconut milk/vinegar mixture. Mix well.
- Blend in the vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine the baking soda and remaining tbsp vinegar (do this slowly and carefully as it will foam) and add to mixture.
- Scoop batter into prepared cupcake pan filling each cup 2/3 of the way.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until firm, turning the pan about half way through.
- Let cupcakes cool before frosting them.
- In a large bowl cream the crisco and margarine together with the vanilla and butter flavor.
- Add the sugar 1 cup at a time and continue blending.
- You want the frosting to be thick, creamy, sweet and not too greasy. Add more sugar if needed to achieve desired taste and consistency.